Thursday 1 August 2013

Lightroom

I have about thirty "posts" in my head to try to get out, but then time and time again, I run into a brick wall, and think "Who on earth wants to read this??"

Is a Blog like a living CV? I guess so.

I've said before that someone I know once said that they were places for people to tell the world how good they were, though perhaps that's paraphrasing. But still, a Blog is a potentially very self-indulgent place I have to admit that.

I have "acquired" Adobe Lightroom 4 (64 Bit) and am frustrated as heck trying to navigate my way around it's inner workings. Canon's own DPP is so straight forward, basic in some ways I know, and does exactly what you want for the majority of the time, but LR is like a sophisticated overseas cousin who knows exactly where it's at, and has a lot more whistles and bells to baffle a rank amateur, but keen to learn type like me.

Anyway, while I do that here are three versions of the same picture of Gwyn:



  When I get chance I'll do something properly worthwhile like posting comparison shots......ones that have been thought through rather than B&W vs colour... Doh!

Still, I'm proud of all three. The fact of the matter in this instance, isn't which are LR and which DPP, seeing as how they're all "tinkered with" rather than "straight out of the camera", but rather a matter of personal taste.

There is a "local" as in Huddersfield, based photographer who runs a Blog that I followed (until Google Reader died, and then "Old Reader" did too" and I can't get "Newsvibe" to do what I want...) who posts some superb pictures, but al are in his particualr style, and often extremely heavy on the contrast and so on. That's not a criticism, he runs classes on the subject after all, and I push a mower, so know nothing obviously, just an observation.

DPP or LR? There are far better qualified people out there to comment on the subject, so I'll relax a bit, until I learn how to get it to do what I want, then beware....

What is the end result/purpose of your pictures? Professional stylistic things, or just friends & family? Or some kind of mix of the two?

I take pictures for fun, but strive, in and amongst, to make them better and better. Here's hoping that LR4 can help me with that, if I find something that works for me in the first place that is....



 Lightroom 4

Digital Photo Professional

Not a lot in it I guess, but I know which I prefer.

I managed a whole post, again, without bragging or hidden messages, or any kind of pointed innuendo, wow, must be getting better at this...